Friday, January 29, 2010

Bile Acid Salts

I am not really sure were to start because I don't even think it makes sense to me yet. I haven't cried yet but I almost lost it on the phone with the Triage Nurse. She could tell and told me to take a deep breath and it is nothing I did and there is nothing I can do personally.

So to start.

I am starting to shake and I don't know how to write this, I am scared and feel helpless.

( going back to Alex I had my gall bladder issues and was induced and had my gall bladder out 2 weeks after having her )

My Bile Acid Salts are 3x the normal limit.

I don't know for sure but I think I have something called Obstetric Cholestasis or Intrahepatic Cholestasis of Pregnancy.

This all has to do with my liver and my bile acids. Honestly that's about all I know.

I do know it is why I have been itching like crazy . . So I got one answer to my madness . .
( I thought I was insane for going to the Dr. because I was itching . . I mean itching is common in pregnancy but my mom freaks out about everything and goes crazy on the internet and this one time I am soo glad she did because if she hadn't I would have never gone in )

There is an increase in Still Born babies ( the UK leads lots of still born deaths to this issue I think ) and that is why they will be watching me closely.

How Closely . .
Ultra Sounds ( Bio Profile Physical ) - 2 times a week
Blood Work - 1 time a week
Meeting with my OBGYN - 1 time a week
Medication - 3x daily
( Ursodiol - 300mg Capsule - used to dissolve certain types of gallstones, to prevent gallstones from forming in obese patients who are losing weight rapidly, and to treat a certain type of liver disease ( primary biliary cirrhosis). Ursodiol is a bile acid )

( I didn't ask what one it would be and it was the 1st thing my husband asked me. Please please please be induced )


The Nurse again told me it is nothing that I did or can do to help this. The medication will do its work and they will monitor me and the baby and make sure we are taken care of. The one thing I can do and have to start doing is monitoring the babies kicks and movements. The nurse told me that a busy time of the day for the baby would be 10 kicks in 2 hours.

I will go in on Monday or Tuesday ( not sure what day because there office is closed ) and meet with a Specialist and have my 1st Bio Physical Profile done. I guess that is were I will have more questions answered and find out more information.

I will then go in on Friday and see my OBGYN and have another Ultra Sound and blood work and talk about things. They weren't going to have me meet with my OB every week and then the nurse called back and said they decided it would be best if I did meet with her and go over everything.

( if you even call this good because right now I would rather not know the sex of the baby then go through this hell )

Well I am off to pick up my new medication and I hope it is something I can swallow!


Candi said...

I am so sorry you are dealing with this Erin. We will be praying for you and that precious baby. Try to relax a bit if you can.

Lindsay said...

I am so sorry you are having to go through all of this. I have been following your blog for while but I am not so good at commenting. Try to think of the best, and try your best not to worry. God is looking out for you and your baby!

Stephanie said...

Hon it is going to be okay! You are going to be okay and that sweet precious baby of yours is going to be okay.

God will keep you both in his hands and deliver your precious baby to you safely! I'm here if you want to talk or just need to vent-you know where I am.


Justin and Heather Huskey said...

Praying for you! Keep us posted and we will keep the prayers coming!

Jennifer said...

Bless your heart. I am so sorry that all this is going on. I am saying a prayer for you right now. Keep us updated!!

Sarah said...

I will be in prayer for you!

All About Aleigha said...

I feel terrible for you. I will certainly be praying for you and I hope you get more answers next week.I would love to say not to stress but I doubt that's possible. Stay strong.

Lexie Loo & Dylan Too said...

I'm so sorry you're having a rough pregnancy. This has to be so scary for you. My best piece of advice is to take it one day at a time. I had to go twice a week for monitoring and OB visits from 30-35 weeks (when I had him) for Dylan and from 32-37 weeks with Lexie. It was rough and scary, but everything turned out okay. I hope that you will be able to be induced instead of having a c-section. Good luck!